- Business Workouts and Restructurings
- Real Estate
- Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Enforcement Defense
- Financial Institutions Litigation and Arbitration
- Financial Institutions Regulation and Compliance
- Securities Regulatory Defense and Compliance
- Bankruptcy and Creditor's Rights
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- University of Delaware, B.A., 1999
- New Jersey, 2003
- New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2013
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Morris County Bar Association
“In every environment, there is a new opportunity. We strive to evolve as counsel as our clients evolve as businesses. We understand that nothing successful remains static and employ this concept as a firm and in our individual practices.”
Nik Komyati has developed a diverse catalog of strengths. He is the practice area leader of the firm’s cannabis practice group and assists clients in all facets of the cannabis industry. He advises clients with regards to licensing, financial, regulatory and compliance issues for cannabis and hemp companies as well as ancillary businesses who work within the industry. His vast network in the cannabis industry has earned him the moniker of “cannabis concierge” from his clients.
In his securities and arbitration practices, he represents investment banks, broker-dealers, hedge funds and other financial institutions in complex matters in various arbitration forums and in state and federal court. Nik is involved with corporate formation and structuring, private equity transactions, hedge fund transactions and redemptions, complex securities transactions, and the sales of restricted securities under Rule 144. Nik has also successfully defended FINRA arbitrations, receiving dismissal of all claims against the firm’s clients. He has handled regulatory inquiries and responses on a multitude of issues and has also successfully petitioned for the expungement of various matters from financial advisors’ Form U-4 and U-5s.
Nik is also a member of Bressler's Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
Nik’s commercial litigation experience includes, among other things, his bankruptcy and creditors’ rights practice. Nik provides counsel for financial institutions, transportation and trucking companies, creditors, insurers, real estate managers and contractors. For these clients, he handles general commercial litigation matters, as well as bankruptcy proceedings including affirmatively representing creditors’ rights and defending adversary proceedings. He has litigated in numerous state and federal courts throughout the United States.
In addition to his practice, Nik is active in numerous legal industry organizations and cannabis industry organizations. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association and the Morris County Bar Association and is also an active participant in the Cannagather industry community.
- In a recent matter, Nik represented a creditor and party to a debtor’s bankruptcy proceeding in Florida. The debtor breached a settlement agreement with approximately $270,000 in payments remaining and despite having $1.5 million in assets, which he argued were shielded from collection. The Trustee agreed with the Debtor and attempted to settle the claims for a de minimus amount with the Debtor. Nik challenged the settlement. At trial, Nik successfully argued that the assets were shielded essentially through fraud and the Judge agreed, finding that the settlement was not in the best interest of the creditors and that there was an indicia of fraud. This led to the client receiving a much larger settlement of $520,000.
- A New Jersey corporate client recently relied on Nik to represent them in a case involving internet defamation. Nik successfully argued that New Jersey had jurisdiction over California residents who defamed our client via the internet. He convinced the court that electronic messages specifically targeting our client and attacking the client’s IP address were contacts with New Jersey significant enough for the court to have personal jurisdiction over the defendants. This matter was thereafter favorably resolved for the client with permanent restraints against the defendants.
- Nik also successfully argued an Order to Show Cause against a company that was breaching its contractual obligations to issue stock to a client. As part of the equitable relief received, the Judge ordered that the company could not issue stock to anyone until it issued stock to the client (in accordance with its contractual obligations). This order essentially stopped the company’s ability to operate, causing the company to immediately capitulate and issue the requisite stock to the client.
News & Publications
- March 15, 201722 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 13 firm attorneys have been selected to the 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers list and 9 attorneys were selected… Read more
- March 11, 201623 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 13 firm attorneys have been selected to the 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers list and 10 attorneys were selecte… Read more
- March 16, 201520 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 11 firm attorneys have been selected to the 2015 New Jersey Super Lawyers list and 9 attorneys were selected… Read more
- June 20, 20143rd Circ. Kills Cobalis Suit Over Hedge Fund Scheme
Nikolas S. Komyati is quoted in Law360 in his capacity as the attorney for YA Global in a lawsuit brought by Cobalis Corp. investors. The Third Circuit upheld a dism… Read more
- March 17, 2014Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Selected as 2014 New Jersey Rising Stars
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that seven Firm attorneys have been named on the 2014 New Jersey Rising Stars list. Each year, Thomson Reuters pu… Read more
- August 3, 2013Nikolas Komyati Quoted in Law360's "Cobalis Suit Over Hedge Fund Scheme Tossed in NJ"
Nikolas S. Komyati was quoted in Law360 as representative for YA Global Investments LP as they defeated a lawsuit in which Cobalis Corp accused the hedge fund of fra… Read more
- March 28, 2013Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Selected as 2013 New Jersey Rising Stars
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that nine Firm attorneys have been named on the 2013 New Jersey Rising Stars list. Each year, Thomson Reuters pub… Read more
- January 4, 2013Bressler Elects New Principals
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that Nikolas Komyati and Matthew Wolper have become Principals of the firm. Nikolas S. Komyati practices in the F… Read more
- March 30, 2012Seven Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Selected as 2012 New Jersey Rising Stars
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that seven Firm attorneys have been named on the 2012 New Jersey Rising Stars list. Each year, Thomson Reuters p… Read more
- April 26, 2011Six Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Selected as 2011 New Jersey Rising Stars
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that six Firm attorneys have been named on the 2011 New Jersey Rising Stars list. Each year, Thomson Reuters publ… Read more
- April 13, 2010Six Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Selected as 2010 New Jersey Rising Stars
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that six Firm attorneys have been selected as 2010 New Jersey Rising Stars. Each year, Law & Politics pub… Read more
- October 17, 2018Nik Komyati to Speak at Legalpalooza 2018: Navigating the Changing Legal Landscape in NJ - The Opioid Crisis and the Legalization of Marijuana
Nik Komyati will speak at Legalpalooza 2018: Navigating the Changing Legal Landsape in NJ - The Opioid Crisis and the Legalization of Marijuana taking place October… Read more
- March 2019The Secure and Fair Enforcement (SAFE) Banking Act
Cannabis Law Alert… Read more
- February 15, 2019Follow-Up: House Financial Services Committee Completes First Hearing on Banking for Cannabis Businesses
Cannabis Law Alert… Read more
- February 1, 2019Nik Komyati, Consuelo Mejer and Tamar Gongadze Author Article "Developments in the Cannabis Industry in NY and at the Federal Level"
Nikolas Komyati, Consuelo Mejer and Tamar Gongadze author an article in the New York Law Journal titled "Developments in the Cannabis Industry in NY and at the Feder… Read more
- December 20, 20182018 Farm Bill Signed Into Law
Cannabis Law Alert… Read more
- November 27, 2018Nik Komyati and Tim McHale Author Article "The STATES Act Will Allow Continuation of America's Financial and Cannabis Industries"
Nikolas Komyati and Timothy McHale author an article on Law.com titled "The STATES Act Will Allow Continuation of America's Financial and Cannabis Industries."… Read more
- February 10, 2018Looking to Defraud Creditors? Talk to Your Foreign Subsidiary!
In a recent Third Circuit opinion, Crystallex Int’l Corp. v. Petróleos de Venez., the court held that the transfer of assets by a foreign subsidiary of a debtor was … Read more
Awards & Honors
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List, 2009-2017