- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 2000
- Seton Hall University, B.A., 1995
- New Jersey, 2001
- New York, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2005
David J. Butler’s practice is primarily devoted to securities litigation, securities arbitration, and securities enforcement proceedings. He also has significant experience with commercial litigation and business disputes.
The securities litigation matters David undertakes include representation of financial institutions and their employees in diverse matters before state and federal courts, and self-regulatory industry organizations. The wide range of securities-related matters he has handled includes claims involving alternative investment products, annuities, and mutual funds.
Among other business conflicts, David defends and prosecutes employment-related claims for financial institutions and associated persons, including disputes involving restrictive covenants, promissory notes, and failure to compensate.
While attending law school, David served as student legal specialist in the Administrative Law and the Commercial and Real Estate Litigation Divisions of the New York City Law Department, in accordance with a special student practice order. In that capacity, he advocated on behalf of the City of New York and of various public benefit corporations in administrative proceedings and commercial litigations.
News & Publications
- January 1, 2016Bressler Announces Attorney Promotions
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce the promotions of David J. Butler, MaryJane Dobbs, Keith P. McManus and Charles W. Stotter to principal and Benja… Read more
- January 22, 2014Bressler Welcomes Lateral, Promotes Two
Dobbs joins as counsel; Butler and Smitham are promoted to counsel… Read more
- July 10, 2013Bressler to Conduct Presentation to NJ LEEP Interns
On July 10, 2013, Bressler, Amery & Ross Associates, Risa Rich and David Butler will conduct a presentation to the NJ LEEP interns. NJ LEEP is a community-based org… Read more
- September 28, 2018SEC Settles First of Its Kind Cyber-Security Enforcement Action Charging Violations of Regulation S-ID
Financial Institutions Law Alert… Read more
- January 7, 2016FINRA Issues 2016 Exam Priorities Letter
Client Alert… Read more
- November 3, 2014New York Court of Appeals Affirms Separate Entity Rule
- February 1, 2014Developments in FINRA Arbitrator Disclosure and Award Vacatur
Most disputes involving public investors and broker-dealers are subject to an agreement to arbitrate the dispute before the securities industry’s principal self-regu… Read more